Monday, June 11, 2012

Kitchen Goddess: FISH OIL FIASCO FIX!

I always wash my most important things first when tackling the daunting weekend laundry duty. Usually I have some epic amount because we only wear things one time and use towels only once before discarding them into the dirty hamper. The smell of over-worn clothes or towels is grody to me and I can get a bit carried away with the laundry at times.  Needless to say, I sort of get this sick feeling of accomplishment when I throw that first massive load in the wash. All of my scrubs, big fluffy towels, Pip's most treasured sundresses, all the good stuff.  Anyone who knows me also knows that I take just an ungodly amount of all-natural herbs, liquid vitamins, trace minerals, and inner-health enhancing miracle jingle jangles.  Omega-3 fish oil is one of them. Three of them a day to be precise. And sometimes when I'm in a rush to get out of the house in the morning (and that hardly ever happens with an overactive toddler on my hands) I jam these healthy little fishy pills into my pocket and head on with my day.

The buzzer alerts me that my laundry is dry and I leap to the magic machine like a giddy schoolgirl. I open the dryer door filled with my gloriously huge load of important laundry, and I let the warm air waft onto my face with my eyes closed as I inhale the aroma of freshly laundered cottonfiber. Or the aroma of hot, dry, pungent, murky fish air.  It sent me back in a Kramer-esque fashion with a look of shock and horror plastered on my face. I knew immediately the cause of such a stench and quickly got to thinking.

First, I rewashed them with extra soap and added two sheets of fabric softener to the dryer. Nada.

Second, I rewashed them with extra soap, added two sheets of fabric softener to the dryer, and sprayed the clothes with lavender-scented Febreze before drying. Nada.

Finally, I pulled out all the stops.  I added a normal amount of soap, sprinkled about a tablespoon of baking soda on the clothes before adding water, added about a 1/2-3/4 cup of white distilled vinegar to the compartment intended for bleach, sprayed the clothes with lavender Febreeze while still wet in dryer, and topped it off with three fabric softener sheets.

I wouldn't know if my desperate attempt had worked until after the dryer buzzer sounded for the last time. I approached the devil machine with much trepidation and to my surprise, the air that arose from the fiery furnace of fury was FISH FREE.

In case this travesty happens to your most beloved textiles, I hope the above highlighted remedy cures all of your stinkiness.

Love,

The Kitchen Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment