Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Foodie Baby: It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

I posted on my Facebook page yesterday that it would be the day Piper tried peanut butter for the first time.  It caused a wave of comments ranging from both ends of the spectrum and I imagine that had there been a provocateur in the midst (which thankfully there wasn't), the debate would have continued for quite some time. As far as I could tell, there seemed to be two camps: The first camp believes that giving a child potentially allergenic foods increases their chances of being allergic to it as they get older and that it's best to leave them alone, and the other camp believes that if neither parent have an allergy to the food then it's basic common sense as to whether their child should be able to enjoy it or not.  I'm not one to argue with pediatricians or those performing the research, but my gut was telling me to go ahead and let Piper try it at 10 and a 1/2 months old as neither parent or our extended families have any food allergies. I bought Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter as the only ingredients listed are peanuts and salt. None of that hydrogenated this-and-that. As for the jelly, I bought Polaner All Fruit since it seems to have less sugar and more natural ingredients.  As Piper ate her very first peanut butter and jelly sandwich I waited patiently to see if there were any reactions whatsoever and the only very obvious adverse effect was that quite a bit of it ended up in her hair.  PEANUT ALLERGY CONQUERED!!!  And in honor of this, I posted OUR FAVORITE BUCKWHEAT BOYZ SONG AFTER THE PICTURE!!




3 comments:

  1. Next you should try peanut butter and banana! :) that's one of my fav's and pipers daddy loves it too!

    "Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see why everyone gets so nervous about food allergies. only about 2.5 % of the population actually have food allergies and the rest are misdiagnosed. There is a plethora of information out there about it, too. You can't be too overprotective. This article Explains how people overreact to food allergies. I may have to do a Potspoon! post and tie in with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that she liked it! Peanut butter is so good! There is nothing wrong with introducing things early. Your daughter had been introduced to so much food that is good for her. That is really cool. I wish I would have done that with my kids. Piper is going to grow up a healthy non-picky little girl!!!!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete