Sunday, May 20, 2012

What's for Breakfast? - Strawberries 'n Cream Protein Muffins

I can't believe it's almost been a month since I last blogged.  That's ridiculous! I have been baking and cooking lots and lots, as well as working, so I guess life just kind of got in the way.  But now I must share with you all that's been going on in my kitchen! YUM TIME!

I'm still on a "healthy muffin kick" because I like the variety for Piper's breakfasts. She seems to enjoy them and now refers to them as "fuffins."  The only reason I refer to these as protein muffins is because they contain eggs and a lot of vanilla yogurt.  They also have no sugar or flour and are rich in fresh fruit, as well as plenty of oats for fiber. Overall, these rank pretty high on the tasty and healthy scale in my book.  Pip hasn't tried one yet but I can't wait to see her reaction when she sees such a colorful treat for breakfast!

Ingredients:

2.5 cups of oats (not the instant kind)
2 eggs
1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup Splenda
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 and 1/4 cups sliced 'n diced strawberries, patted as dry as possible (3/4 of a cup set aside for sprinkling on top of muffins before baking)
1 tsp. lemon juice

Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray 12 muffin tins with Pam cooking spray.
2.  Place all ingredients except the strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth.

3.  Pour into a medium sized bowl and stir in 1 and 1/2 cups of strawberries.

4.  Pour into sprayed muffin tins (3/4 full) and top each muffin with remaining 3/4 cup diced strawberries.

5.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, aaaaand....VOILA!

6.  Wrap any leftover muffins individually in cellophane and place in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag with the date you prepared them so they can be frozen and enjoyed later!

No comments:

Post a Comment