Saturday, March 10, 2012

What's For Breakfast? - Oatmeal-Raisin Dark Chocolate-Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies

Whew! That was a mouthful...LITERALLY!  Pinterest has struck again, only this time in the form of delicious breakfast alternatives. I think my daughter is getting sick of Cream of Wheat, oatmeal, and Malt 'O Meal, no matter how I dress them up. I feel as though buttered toast with fruit can only be done every now and then or that will get old too. And let's face it, before work when there are bubbles still popping around my head, making french toast is just too much work. Not to mention, slapping anything around daintily in an egg mixture before my coffee kicks in is just not smart. So now I'm on a mission for more creative ways to eat a healthy breakfast, as well as freezable ideas to make on the weekends that only need to be defrosted on weekday mornings! I did see an idea for toddler-sized french toast sticks that can be frozen, but that's a different blog...  I found this basic recipe on Pinterest and sort of altered it myself a bit. I hope you enjoy them as much as Ms. Pip Jaimes did!

~Ingredients~
1/2 cup rolled oats
scant 1/2 cup of mashed over-ripe banana
just enough butter to fill up the rest of the scant 1/2 cup of mashed banana
1/4 cup of nut butter (I used Peanut Butter & Co. All Natural Dark Chocolate Dreams)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. raisins
1 Tbsp. sugar (you can omit this completely, or use 1 packet of Stevia if desired)
 ~Directions~
1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2.  Mash the banana/butter with the nut butter you chose and stir until creamy.
 3.  Add all the other ingredients and mix until well combined.
 4.  Using a spoon, drop onto ungreased cookie sheet and form into cookie shape.
 5.  Bake 14 minutes and VOILA!  These smelled so good right out of the oven.
6.  Watch your toddler destroy them. NOM NOM NOM.
What 19 month old wouldn't like cookies for breakfast??

Oh yeah, diggin' the healthy treats for breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment