Saturday, November 17, 2012

Reflections In The Kitchen Window - Tranquil Calming Jar

Although I feel blessed to have a two-year old who doesn't throw too many temper tantrums, I almost feel less equipped to handle them when they do come around because they happen so infrequently. I find myself needed to take a deep breath, count to ten, and keep my voice at a very low volume. Adding to the chaos does no one any good and two humans yelling surely doesn't make anything more pleasant. So I did a little research and gathered the best methods from a few different people's trials and errors, and created a PERFECTLY TRANQUIL CALMING JAR. 

Especially teaching a classroom full of 2 and 3-year olds I have come to realize that sometimes their poor choices and behavior are much like a snowball effect. Once they start an undesirable behavior, it sort of escalates and can't be stopped until an adult can come into the picture and redirect the channel. That's the purpose of the Calming Jar. They can shake it and watch the glitter swirl to the bottom, which takes about 1 and 1/2 to 2 minutes. Perfect amount of time to regroup and go on about their activities, hopefully in a more peaceful state of mind.

I chose blue food coloring in the water because I love the cool and calm serenity that it represents. For the 2 tubes of glitter glue I used blue and silver.  Now that I have made one for Piper, I think I may make one for myself. Who can't use a little decompression from time to time?

~Ingredients~

Warm water
Goo Gone (to remove any sticky residue on the bottle once any label is removed)
Food coloring (I used 2 drops of neon blue in a 1 liter bottle)
Two tubes of glitter glue
Bowl with a lip
Funnel
Wire Whisk


~Directions~

1.  Fill container 90% full with warm water.  Add desired amount of food coloring.
2.  Add your tubes of glitter glue and shake.  It will seem a little clumpy even after shaking.
3.  Pour the mixture into a bowl with a lip.
4.  Get the clumps out by whisking the mixture.
5.  Set the funnel on top of your container to prevent spilling, and pour the mixture back in.
6.  Ta da!  Here is the super duper tranquil calming jar.  I love it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment