Sunday, March 25, 2012

Foodie Baby: Sunshine Toast

I couldn't decide whether to title this "Foodie Baby" or "Foodie Flop" because it was much more the latter than the former.  I am a big believer in the egg, and ever since Pipes was 12 months old I have been introducing, and reintroducing, this small, edible, elliptical wonder. With the exception of french toast and one jar of egg salad a long, long time ago, every time I've introduced it has been shot down. At almost 20 months old, my current sneak-attack strategy did not work either. Here is my hopefully ignorant thought process:  "Hmmm, I know that Piper loves toast. Any kind of toast. What if I use a fun method I saw on Pinterest to make the egg seem like THE SUN INSIDE THE TOAST! YES, THE SUN! Oh goodie oh goodie, Pip loves the sun. And if she thinks the egg is the sun, then she will eat it! And she will love it! And she will love me for making it! Oh happy day, let's get this party started."  Well, as much fun as it was to create Sunshine Toast, when my daughter realized that the sun was actually an egg, I think I lost my best bud for a minute, as you can see from the pictures below.

~Ingredients~

1 egg
1 piece of bread
1 and 1/2 Tbsp. butter
~Directions~

1.  In a small skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. of butter over medium heat.
2.  In the meantime, cut a hole in the piece of bread using a glass or cup. I used a wine glass for a slightly small hole.
3.  Remove the circle from the bread and set aside. Or let your toddler swipe it and eat it, running gleefully around the house....
4.  Lightly butter the holy bread with the remaining 1/2 Tbsp. of butter.
5.  Place the buttered holy bread into the skillet, heating until lightly toasted, flipping and doing the same to the other side.
6.  Crack the egg into the hole and fry for a few minutes until the clear egg whites become white, then flip. Cook until egg yolk is mostly hard, with only a touch of softness when you press on it with your finger.
7.  Place your Sunshine Toast in all its glory in front of your toddler on their high chair tray. Beam with pride.
8.  Watch them give it a good 'ol fashioned college try.
Hmmm, this outer part is delish!
9.
I determine that this buttery toast is quite tasty.

10.
Ok what's going on. Why the hell is my toast so HEAVY.
11.  
Is this what I THINK IT IS??? No, Mama would never do that to me...

12.  
Apparently she would. And I'm kinda miffed about it. Gross egg.
13.  
Oh so now you give me strawberries? Where 's the egg...I know it's in there. You're trying to slip me eggs, Lady, and I'm onto you.
14.  
Alright, I trust you again....THIS time...

No comments:

Post a Comment