Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What's to Drink? - Apparently Not Ginger Lemon Tea...

While cooking the Roasted Cauliflower Curry Ginger Soup last night (recipe for that still to come), I minced a little too much fresh ginger.  I didn't want to waste it, so I decided to try to make my own tea.  Do you remember in the very beginning of this blog, I told all of you readers that I would post even my kitchen failures?  Well, this would be one of them.  I experimented, I got all excited, and I got burned. Literally. Now I know from  first-hand experience that a very little bit of fresh ginger goes a really really really long way. Although the smell simmering from the pot was incredibly inviting, one small sip resulted in a fire cascading down my unsuspecting throat.  It was the spiciest and least comforting tea I think anyone has ever made. I will now share with you how I made it, and please try to refrain from laughing.  This was a first for me.  I would love some input on how to make a tea that doesn't cause third-degree burns of the esophagus though, if any of you would care to share!

~Ingredients~

2 cups of water
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger root
1/2 of a lemon
Dash of ground cinnamon
Dash of ground clove
1 Tbsp. honey

~Directions~

1.  Combine water, lemon, ginger, cinnamon, and clove in a small pot and bring to a boil.
2.  Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3.  Using a mesh strainer, pour the tea through so as to separate the ginger and lemon.
 4.  Add the honey and stir.
5.  I wish I could say that it tasted as wonderfully as it smelled!  Based on this botched recipe, how would you change it (besides obviously not using so much ginger) to make it palatable? Any input is good input!  

2 comments:

  1. Maybe its the combination of the lemon & the ginger or yeah maybe u just used too much ginger. Bcuz I make ginger tea all the time & JUST use ginger root, not minced but just chopped & then kinda smash it with the side of the knife before putting it in the water (local lady taught me that). I guess, according to her it speeds up the process of releasing the ginger juice into the water so u dont have to boil it for as long. But i usually dont add anything else except maybe a little Sugar in the Raw or brown sugar & its delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just used waaaay too much ginger. Two Tbsp. of minced fresh ginger for 2 cups of water may have been overdoing it a bit. But now I know! This WAS fresh ginger root. I just minced it in the food processor. Maybe I should have done it your way and just chopped a small chunk or two off and smashed it with the side of a knife. But I think I initially start out with waaaaay too much. Cuz holy moly, this was INSANELY spicy. Very very unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete